Saturday, May 19, 2012

Porch Swing Project

I have been sharing some of our current projects.
This time I thought I would share one that
we have been enjoying for a couple of years but
I have never shared.
It is a porch swing we made
from an old bunkbed.





We had a bunk bed/futon in our son's room for several years.
When he was finished with it, we tried to sell it in a yard sale.
No luck. What would we do with this piece of metal that we were stuck with.
Why not see if we could make a swing. I have always
loved a porch swing.



We painted it black. It now has a rusty patina to add more character.
Hubby had some airline cable laying around. He is a bit of a collector/hoarder.
It is the same cable that we used here for our hanging bridge.
http://www.inthemiddlewithme.blogspot.ca/2011/07/july-24-205-play-fort.html
Apparently, it will hold up to 1500 pounds.


I bought some outdoor fabric, drew a template of cardboard, and
had some cushions made after I realized that there was
nothing available in the right size. I didn't want to use
a futon outside.



He hung it from our shade pergola (another previous diy project) 
It is conveniently beside the pool so that I can swing and lifeguard
at the same time.



We can fit a lot of people.


Or just one, for a well deserved nap.










Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special